While different circumstances could mean different choices have to be made by parents, there are some parenting tips that could serve you well, under most circumstances. A useful checklist:
- How much internet use, TV viewing or video game playing is your child indulging in? Keep tabs, set limits and enforce them.
- Pay attention to what the child eats; take time and put in effort to see that it is nutritious. Nutrition that a child gets will set a pattern for life and will make for lifelong good habits and good health.
- Don’t ignore the aches and pains, the niggling problems. Make sure that your child is in good health by showing them to a doctor whenever required.
- Set bedtimes and enforce them; inadequate sleep for a child is the reason for a host of problems. Make sure that the child gets adequate quality sleep.
- Choose a caregiver very carefully for when you are not going to be around.
- Be firm but gentle; and non physical in your discipline. Losing control is not good for the parent or the child.
- Basic rules and limits are a good thing. Children like to know that there is a person in charge.