Parents Beware: Your Child Could Choke On A Hotdog

In a shocking incident, we are informed of the heart rending story of Marta Rodgriguez.

She had to watch her little boy, 4 year old Antony choke to death on a hotdog while she and other adults including two police officers were present there, but were powerless to help. Several things including the Heimlich maneuver were tried, but nothing helped.hotdogs

Like most people these parents never dreamt of the choking hazard that is posed by something that is shaped like a hotdog, particularly the risk it poses for the smaller windpipe of the child.

However, this is a startling statistic that choking is the most common cause of death in kids from 1 to 5 years of age. What is even more startling is that hot dogs cause 17 percent of those deaths. It is because of the shape of this food that makes it so dangerous. Other dangerous foods include:

  • hard candy,
  • whole grapes,
  • raw carrots,
  • peanut butter,
  • chewing gum,
  • marshmallows,
  • peanuts/nuts,
  • popcorn and
  • sausages

Currently, a redesign of the hotdog and warning labels on the packaging are being considered. In the meantime, items such as these should be either avoided or cut into small pieces before offering to children.

Source: examiner


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

7 − 2 =

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.