Alcohol, drugs, unsafe sex are all concerns that are likely to dog parents as they prepare for their kids’ prom night. Here are some tips for the approaching prom night:
- Define what is acceptable and what is unacceptable, in terms of alcohol, sex and drugs.
- Talk to the child about the dangers of giving into peer pressure; there is no need to follow the horde; there is a lot to be said for individuality.
- Let the child understand that you as a parent are always there for them if ever they should need help.
- Get all the information about who the child is going with, where, how etc. Find out if there will be adequate chaperoning of the event. Is there an after party and if so will any parents be there? Basically know what the plan is beforehand.
- Ask your child to call twice in the course of the evening; so they can check in with you.
- Set and enforce a budget. There is no need to go overboard on the dress or tux or limo etc.
- Curfew may be later than on other days, but there should still be a cut off time by which the kids should responsibly be expected to be home.
- Whether you child has a date or is going in a group, the same rules can be made to apply.