Teaching responsibility is a very important part of good parenting.
Here are a few successful ways to establish responsibility in children:
- Be a responsible parent: It is a known fact that children learn from their parents. Therefore, it is very important for you to behave like a responsible parent yourself, before you can teach responsibilities to your children.
- Start your lessons when they are young: As young kids have a strong desire to help their parents, begin your lessons of responsibility by assigning simple chores when your children are still young.
- Make responsibility a primary standard: You must create an environment in your house where responsibility is the primary norm, so that your child learns responsibility on his/her own without any guidance.
- Don’t reward kids: If you seriously want your children to earn responsibility, don’t attempt to reward your kids, which can distract them from establishing an intrinsic sense of responsibility.
- Allow child to learn from mistakes: It is not possible for everyone to learn everything in one go. Therefore, allow your child to learn from his/her mistakes. When it is extremely important, try to correct their mistakes.
- Restrict irresponsible behavior: Before it becomes a habit for your child, stop irresponsible behavior by training them in a civil, appropriate manner, instead of spanking or punishing.
- Make your child’s chores fun: Initially it can be quite tough for your child to learn responsibility, so try to make their chores simple and fun. Make chores seem interesting so that your child can do them with enthusiasm.